fbpx

Understanding Mycotoxins

Mycotoxins are highly toxic chemicals produced by some problematic molds. Mycotoxins are the “bio-toxins” (poisons) produced by various species of mold. Just like a rattlesnake produces “venom”, which is its bio-toxin, some molds produce its own bio-toxins. These types of toxins are invisible, tasteless, stable and resistant to temperature. Mycotoxins are also toxic to humans. Humans are not specifically targeted by mycotoxins, but seem to be caught in the crossfire of the biochemical warfare among different molds and/or bacteria vying for the same area.

Symptoms from exposure to mycotoxins can very dur the age, health, and sex of the exposed individual as well as many poorly understood effects involving genetics, dietary status, and interactions with other toxic substances. Thus, the severity of mycotoxin poisoning (mycotoxicosis) can be compounded by factors such as vitamin deficiency, caloric deprivation, alcohol abuse, and infectious disease status. In turn, mycotoxicosis can heighten vulnerability to microbial diseases, worsen the effects of malnutrition, and interact with other toxins.

Some of the known symptoms of exposure are as follows:

  • Nasal Stuffiness
  • Cough
  • Eye irritation
  • Wheezing
  • Skin Irritation

As well as some more rare and severe symptoms such as:

  • Fever
  • Chills
  • Muscular aches
  • Asthma
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chronic rhinosinusitis
  • Pneumonia

If you believe you are experiencing symptoms from exposure to mycotoxins then an IAQM Clean Home Assessment Inspection may be right for you. In a Clean Home Assessment, IAQM draws on our 14 years of experience and the absolute latest technology to provide you with detailed information about potential problem areas and their associated health risks. A full report is then provided to you to ensure you are making well informed decisions about the health and safety of your home and family.